The Australian Newsroom Mapping Project logged a total of 11 changes during January.
Four of those changes occurred in January and seven were backdated changes from last year.
The four changes that look place in January were two were increases in service and two new regional mastheads launches.
Harvey Community Radio in Harvey, West Australia launched a new radio bulletin, while The Bugle in Kiama, New South Wales started a new digital news app.
The two new mastheads introduced in January were The Daily Journal in Warwick, Queensland and the Manly Observer Manly, New South Wales.
There were also seven backdated entries:
- Bundaberg Today (Bundaberg QLD) launched September 2020
- Callide-Dawson Leader (Biloela QLD) launched July 2020
- Hervey Bay Independent (Hervey Bay QLD) launched July 2020
- Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Post (Normanhurst NSW) launched September 2020
- Northern Beaches Review (Manly NSW) launched October 2020
- Parra News (Parramatta NSW) launched November 2020
- Richmond River Independent (Casino NSW) launched July 2020
One existing entry was modified in January; The CQ Reporter, which launched in August 2020, appears to have closed, demonstrating the fragility of new entrants into a difficult and competitive market.
This takes the current tally of expansions to 74, compared to 194 contractions and a net number of contractions to 120.