Latest Australian News Data Report
The October Australian News Data Report features new case studies of public interest journalism in:
- Bathurst Regional Council,
- the Shire of Esperance, and
- the Rural City of Murray Bridge.
These case-studies are part of the Australian News Sampling Project’s pilot phase in which PIJI is rigor testing our research framework and methodology before broader application from 2023 onward.
Minister reveals top priorities for media sector
In a speech detailing the Labour Government’s media policy priorities, Communications Minister Michelle Rowland has emphasized the importance of:
- evidence-based interventions, and
- of ensuring that all Australians have “equitable access to media services and content”
PIJI welcomes these comments, as well as funding measures reiterated by the Minister announced in the October federal budget.
Funding initiatives for the sector announced in the October federal budget included:
- a program of work to support media diversity and public interest journalism in Australia
- $4 million p/y for the Community Broadcasting Program
- 5-year funding terms for the national broadcasters.
New ACNC Commissioner announced
As Australia’s non-profit news market continues to grow, PIJI welcomes the appointment of Sue Woodward AM, an experienced charities law leader, as Commissioner of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). PIJI congratulates Ms Woodward and looks forward to working with her throughout her tenure.
- The Centre for Media Transition has released the first of three reports examining the state of Regional News Media in Australia
- New grant program: The government has announced $15 million in to be shared between 208 regional, independent suburban, First Nations and multicultural print publishers: Learn more
- The ACCC’s fifth interim report for the Digital Platform Services inquiry considers whether new competition and consumer laws are needed to address the harms identified on digital platforms.
- The winners the 67th Walkley Awards have been announced
- A webinar on the Community Radio Broadcasting Codes of Practice review is being held on the 8th of December
- The Age, Stuck in a rut’: Diversity rules to be overhauled in major media reform
- The Age, Meta Australia braces for impact of global job cuts
- The Age, Olympic bosses fly in to negotiate Games broadcast deal
- Spin Cycle, RRR Radio The now and what’s next of journalism in Australia
- Croakey Health Media Why Australia needs a national strategy to tackle misinformation
- Mirage News First step towards news measurement framework for digital era