- The availability of local news in the regions of Australia has sharply declined since 2014, and is likely to decline further;
- Research suggests that journalistic deficits result in a reduction in accountability for interest groups and public institutions, and
- Declines in the availability of local news, and the associated reductions in accountability, are a cause for concern.
This report was prepared by:
- Gary Dickson, Research and Projects Manager, Public Interest Journalism Initiative
- Dr Margaret Simons, Honorary fellow at the Centre for Advancing Journalism
Citation: Simons, M., & Dickson, G. (2019). Availability of local news and information: 2019 state of the regions report.